- Planning & Zoning
- Solar Resources
Welcome to the Bedford, New Hampshire solar resource webpage. Bedford is committed to improving solar market conditions in the community, making it faster, easier and more affordable for our residents and businesses to install solar energy systems. These efforts will also increase the efficiency of local processes related to solar development, saving our local government time and money. Our community’s solar goals and commitments can be found below. For more information about the basics of solar energy, your solar options, and questions to ask solar professionals, visit the Department of Energy’s Homeowner’s Guide to Going Solar.
Solar energy uses a renewable energy source-the sun and provides many benefits for individuals and the community. It improves environmental quality by reducing carbon emissions and air pollutions, supports local solar companies, saves money on energy costs, and improves electric grid resilience during peak demand and during other stresses to the system.
BEDFORD'S SOLAR COMMITMENT
The Bedford Building and Planning Departments are committed to exceptional customer service as it relates to solar permitting. To promote the continued advancement of solar in our community we are committed to the following:
Our community’s solar goals can be found in our Solar Statement.
- The Building Department is committed to providing a timely review of solar PV permit applications. Residential solar permits require a building permit, electrical permit and for ground-mounted applications a conditional use permit may be required.
- A conditional use permit is only required for ground-mounted arrays that are permitted in certain Zoning Districts. Please contact the Planning Department at 603-472-5243 or email@example.com for information on the application process for a conditional use permit.
- A checklist has been provided to assist the customer with complete application submittals. Find the checklist here.
- A residential solar PV system typically requires 1 inspection for both the building permit and electrical permit. Solar PV system inspection requirements are per code.
CHECK YOUR SOLAR POTENTIAL
- Investigate your property’s solar potential by clicking here. You can also estimate the performance of potential PV projects using the National Renewable Energy Laboratory’s PV Watts Calculator.
FINDING A CONTRACTOR
There are sites to help find a contractor, below are just a few links to help start your search.
- Solar Companies in NH (Note: The Town of Bedford does not make any recommendations or rate any companies found on this site.)
- Question checklist
- Choosing an installer video
- Consumer Solar Checklist
- Clean Energy Consumer Bill of Rights
BEDFORD'S BUILDING PERMIT PROCESS
Permitting information can be found on the Bedford Building Code Compliance webpage.
FINANCING, INCENTIVES AND TAX EXEMPTIONS
Typical solar installations are paid for through loans or cash. It is also worth looking into current Federal and State incentives available. Here are some links to information on financing options:
Bedford Solar Energy Systems Exemption
USEFUL SOLAR INFORMATION
Additional sites for Solar information and education:
Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
2023 SOLAR PHOTOVOLTAIC (PV) SYSTEM PERMITTING CHECKLIST:
The new pre-submittal checklist contains the minimum information and project plan details required to be submitted to the Bedford Building Department when applying for a permit to install a residential accessory rooftop or ground mounted solar photovoltaic (PV) system and can be found here.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
The Energy Commission website, can be found here.
The Building Department can be contacted at 603-472-3838 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Planning Department can be contacted at 603-472-5243 or at email@example.com.