Marriage Licenses

At this time, Marriage Licenses may be obtained by appointment only.  If you would like to obtain a marriage license, please contact Sally Kellar, Town Clerk at so arrangements can be made.

Where to Apply

If you plan on getting married in New Hampshire, you may apply at any Town or City Clerk's Office. The license is valid in any New Hampshire city or town only and is valid for 90 days. Please call or email the Bedford Town Clerk to set up an appointment to complete a marriage license. (603) 472-3550 ext. 2 or

Forms to Be Completed

Upon your arrival (both parties need to be present) the application worksheet must be completed. Once the application is complete, the Town Clerk will enter the information in the State database and your license will be printed. The license will then need to be signed and dated by both parties.  The worksheet will require the following information:
  • Legal name
  • Legal name at birth
  • Current residence, including county
  • Birthplace of bride/groom/spouse and of all parents

Additional Documents Required

  • Certified copy of a death certificate of spouse, if applicant is widowed
  • Certified copy of a final divorce decree, if the applicant is divorced
  • Certified copy of an annulment decree, if the applicant’s previous marriage was annulled
  • Fee: $50 The Town of Bedford accepts cash, check or credit card (additional fee is applied for credit card)
  • Proof of age
If the officiant is not a New Hampshire resident, US Judge, US Bankruptcy Judge, Magistrate Judge residing in NH, or Supreme Court Justice, NH Superior Court Judge or NH Circuit Court Judge he/she must obtain a Special Marriage License from the Secretary of State’s Office:
State House Room 214
Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Phone: 603-271-3242
(I have attached the form for your convenience)

Additional License Details

  • The Marriage license is valid upon issuance for up to 90 days.
  • After your marriage, a certified copy may be obtained.