- Police Department
- Pistol Licenses
Residents who voluntarily wish to obtain a Concealed Pistol License can have one issued through the police department in the community where they reside. The cost of the license is $10.00 and is valid for five years, expiring within the month of the license holder's birthday. Non-residents who wish to obtain a NH Non-Resident Concealed Pistol License would need to file an application with the Department of Safety, Division of State Police Permits and Licensing Unit. The cost for the non-resident license is $100.00.
Concealed pistol or revolver licenses issued by the State of NH will be required for residents and non-residents seeking to carry under a reciprocity agreement with another state. Note that the law change in February, 2017 requires the Director of State Police to negotiate and enter into agreements with other jurisdictions to recognize the validity of the NH License to Carry. We recommend contacting other states directly if you plan on traveling to or through other states to find out the status of reciprocity with NH.
In order for Bedford residents to obtain a pistol license, an applicant must provide his/her driver's license with Bedford as the primary address. The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and have a criminal record check free of felony convictions*. The Bedford Police Department will obtain a criminal record check on each individual to determine if they are disqualified.
*Applications are approved unless the applicant is "prohibited by New Hampshire or Federal statute from possessing a firearm" (RSA 159:6(a) as amended). Prohibited persons would fall into any of the following categories:
- convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
- who is a fugitive from justice;
- who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802);
- who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
- who is an illegal alien;
- who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
- who has renounced his or her United States citizenship;
- who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner; or
- who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
Pistol License Applications
Pistol license applications can be obtained in the lobby of the Bedford Police Department or you may print the form found on our FORMS & FEES page. Completed forms can be dropped off or mailed to the department. Do NOT mail the fee with the application! The application process takes approximately two weeks and we do not call when it is ready. The pistol license must be picked up in person by the applicant. A valid photo ID is required and payment is expected upon pick-up. We accept checks and cash only. If you are renewing your license, it can only be renewed in the month in which it is expiring so please hold your applications until that month arrives.
If you have any questions, please call (603) 472-5113 and choose extension 364, Monday-Friday between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm.