Voter Registration



In New Hampshire, there are no restrictions on the rights of U.S. citizens, who will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election, to register to vote.

In Bedford, residents may register at the Bedford Town Office Building , 24 North Amherst Street, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays 7:00 am-4:30 pm

The voter registration process will take less time if you bring a photo ID and at least 1 item to prove that you reside in Bedford. Examples of proof of identification would include a driver's license or passport, and examples of proof of residency would include a driver's license with your Bedford residence printed on the front, vehicle registration, current postmarked mail, a lease, utility bill, or a payroll stub with your residence. If born outside of the United States, you will be asked to prove your US citizenship. If you do not have evidence of age, identity, residency and/or citizenship, you will be required to sign a Domicile Affidavit and/or Qualified Voter Affidavit, whichever is/are applicable. Call the Town Clerk's Office for guidance if you have any questions about the type of documentation you will need (603-472-3550 ext. 2).

In New Hampshire, no one is permitted to register to vote during the 10 days prior to an election. This allows the Supervisors of the Checklist time to update and print the checklists that will be used at the polls on election day.

You may, however, register to vote on election day at the polls. Registering on election day and then voting will require you to wait in two lines: one to register and one to vote. You will save time by registering earlier.

In New Hampshire, only residents who are temporarily absent from the City (such as college students or overseas citizens) and residents who are physically disabled and unable to come to the Office of the City Clerk or the polling place to register, may do so by mail. Please click here for an absentee ballot request. Read the form carefully and check all that apply. Mail, scan or fax the request and voter registration forms will be sent to you.  If you are in the military or an overseas voter you may download the FEDERAL POST CARD and return it to the Town Clerk. The FEDERAL POST CARD is good for one year and can be used for both voter registration and absentee ballot requests.


Party changes can only be made “by appearing in person” at the Office of the Town Clerk (RSA 654:34). In addition, there are periods of time when state law does not permit a change of party (generally from the first date of a filing period until the day after the primary election). Please call the Town Clerk if you have any questions. The last day to change your party, for the September 2016 State Primary was on May 31, 2016. All voters wishing to change their party will have to wait until the Wednesday after the State Primary.

Address changes from one Bedford residence to another Bedford address must be made in person at the Bedford Town Office Building. We will require proof of your new address in the form of a lease, utility bill, current postmarked mail or payroll stub. If you do not have any documentation, then you will be able to complete a Domicile Affidavit.

Name changes (due to marriage, for example) must be made in person at the Bedford Town Office Building. You will need to bring proof of the name change (for example: certified marriage certificate or certified court order) or you can complete a Qualified Voter Affidavit.