Animal Control Officer

What does the Animal Control Officer do?

The animal control officer, Haylie Gulino, is responsible for enforcing State Laws and local ordinances pertaining to the welfare and control of domestic, exotic and wild animals.   The animal control officer is also considered the local rabies control authority and handles many wild animals, which have been reported to be sick or injured.      

How do I reach the Animal Control Officer?  

The Animal Control Division is located in the Police Department and is staffed with one animal control officer, weekdays from 8AM to 4:00PM.   The ACO can be reached at 603-472-5113, choose Option #7 (or Ext. 218) from the automated menu.  Many times she is out on field calls and unable to answer her telephone. If you need to speak with her immediately, please leave your information with a Communications Specialist.  The ACO will be sent to your location to take a report or she will return your call on a priority basis.  Safety issues are the first priority.  If you prefer to email a question, scroll down to the bottom of this page for an easy link!

If I have lost my pet, what should I do?

First thing to do would be to begin your search and make a call to the animal control officer for assistance.   Dial 603-472-5113, Ext. 218.  In most instances,  stray dogs that the Police Department picks up in Bedford are taken to the Animal Rescue League, 545 Rte. 101, Bedford, NH.

If your pet does not return home in what you feel is a reasonable amount of time, begin to make flyers with information of your pet on them.   For example, your pet's description, a photo, its gender, breed, color, size, distinguishing features, id tags, etc.   Make several copies of your flyer and begin dropping them off at local vet's clinics, animal shelters, schools, local business, etc.  

What should I do if I am bitten by an animal?

The very first thing you should do is clean your wound(s) thoroughly and contact your physician immediately.   If your physician is not available, we strongly advise that you call the ambulance squad or visit the nearest emergency room for treatment.   Even with the smallest wounds, viruses and disease can be transmitted.  If feasible, contact the animal control officer so that he/she can begin attempting to locate the animal(s) which has bitten you.   

How much does it cost to license my dog?

State Law RSA 466:13 - All dogs over 4 months of age must be licensed annually. All dogs must have current rabies certificate before they can be licensed.

Neutered or spayed dogs $7.00

Unaltered male of female dog $10.00

Senior citizen owners (65 years or older) pay a reduced rate of $2.00 for the first dog, additional dogs are at $7.00 each.

All renewal licenses are due annually by April 30th. 

For your convenience in licensing your dog, an online form is available at
[ ] which can be mailed in to the Town Clerk's Office with the appropriate fee, proof of rabies and stamped self-addressed envelope and a tag will be mailed to you.  

What do I need to do to license my dog?

The owner or keeper of a dog must furnish proof to the town clerk that the dog has been vaccinated against rabies. In addition, if the dog has been spayed or neutered, the owner or keeper needs to furnish the city with the proper documentation.

Does my cat need a rabies shot?   

Yes, all dogs, cats, and ferrets require a rabies vaccine.

What is animal abuse?

There are different types of animal abuse, simply depriving a animal of sufficient shelter, food, water or medical treatment is illegal.    If you suspect an animal is being abused, please contact the Animal Control Officer.  

Is it illegal for someone to leave the scene of an accident, without reporting to a law enforcement agency that they have hit a domestic dog or cat?

Yes, it is a misdemeanor and the person responsible could be arrested. 

 I have a skunk under my shed what do I do?

If any animal is living under your shed, porch or other structure, a simple way to remove the animal is to spread a large amount of mothballs underneath the structure.  It is also recommended to have the space from the ground to the bottom of the structure blocked with a metal screen to prevent animals returning to the space.  If needed, call the ACO and she will come out to assess the situation.   Hav-a-heart traps can also be loaned out.  

My dog is an inside dog, do I need to get him licensed?

Yes, all dogs residing in Bedford need to be licensed.

There is a barking dog in my neighborhood that is driving me crazy, what can be done about this?

State Statutes govern noise issues.   When the dog is barking, call the ACO and she will respond to the area.    If needed, she will address the situation with the dog owner.   If the noise is during the night or weekends, call and speak with the dispatcher.   Let them know you have a noise complaint.   They will send out an officer to address the issue.

What should I do when I find a bat in my house?

If there is contact with people, (or if a child or pet or sleeping or impaired person is in the room with the bat) then the bat needs to be captured and tested for rabies. You can call the police department and speak with the ACO during business hours.  If after hours, we recommend calling a critter/pest control company.   If none of the listed scenarios happened, open a window and be patient.  The bat will eventually leave. 

Email the ACO (Animal Control Officer)